Gop Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is currently inactive, and the goppers who still gop mostly hang out on Discord. Some of them, at least!

Home  Angle map !  GOP emulator !  GOP Hiscores Sheet  Latest images  Search  Register  Log in  Tournament of Tea  YT GOP school  TeaTea  

Gop School Course: GOP Literacy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

RuneScape name(s) : Timome, Isamond, Vinterhymn, Anand Wa Neo,

Gop School Course: GOP Literacy Empty
PostSubject: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Gop School Course: GOP Literacy GopLiteracyCourseBadgenobg
Course name: Gop Literacy Course
Level: Basic
Teacher(s): Timo^ and Lightgrace^
Students: Marton136^
Alumni: Icy001^, Timo^, Aimee^, Lightgrace^

The Gop Literacy Course is intended to create common grounds on which all goppers can easily discuss GOP with eachother.

When gone through all the points in the curriculum, students will be given an indevidual 'graduation puzzle' by coordinates only, and be asked to return with complete notation for what they think is/are the best solution(s) after however long they wish.

As this course will use and teach a lot of terminology that will be new to many, the Lexicon Akademia (link) will serve many a soul appeasement.

Pillars from what sophisticated playing-styles can and will be built from.
A) Tick-counting
a1) Definition of a "tick".
a2) Ticks for actions in GOP (one tile per tick for orb movement and two tiles per tick for running).
a3) When prototicks occur. (Also explain about One-tick gaps)
a4) The ticks it takes an orb to travel and ticks spent on manipulating orbs (tile/tick-ratio).

B) Standard Notation
b1) Coordinates and orb naming (A, B and C).
b2) Notation for orb and character movement.
b3) Notation for orbdrag and premovement.
b4) Show puzzle(s) by coordinates only, and ask for solution(s) written in Standard Notation.

C) Convention and different terminology (short point)
c1) "x-aways", "tap-delay",

Last edited by Timo on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Added point b3, added information about 'graduation puzzle' and link to Lexicon Akademia)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thymonico
Aimee
Gop Literacy
Aimee

RuneScape name(s) : Love Affair

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 4:56 pm

I would like to follow this course.
Loving the puzzles that are posted, no idea how I should write down my solutions in Standard Notation.

Aimee ♥
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Aimee has graduated from this course 29/06/2012!

Aimee's Graduation Puzzle:
Gopper at [2,0], A[-7,-1], B[-4,-4] and C[7,2]

Aimee's Solution: 2n(1) + 0(1) + B(2) + C(2) + A[2w](4) + C(1) = 11 ticks.
Orbs are scored: B after 7 ticks, A after 12 ticks and C after 13 ticks.

Grats, Aimee! =)

Edit: Alright, so I mess up letters a lot! >_>

Last edited by Timo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aimee
Gop Literacy
Aimee

RuneScape name(s) : Love Affair

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Timo wrote:
Aimee's Solution: 2n(1) + 0(1) + B(2) + C(2) + A[2w](4) + C(1) = 11 ticks.
Orbs are scored: B after 7 ticks, B after 12 ticks and B after 13 ticks.

Easy one to graduate with, I'll try the puzzles aswell soon!
Though, I must be very pro, since I scored orb B 3 times!

Back to top Go down
Zelda

Zelda

RuneScape name(s) : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:08 am

First of all I would like to say that you've done a wonderful job with the course setup, Timo. It's tidy and easy to read as always!

The course itself looks interesting, and it seems like it contains a lot of variation as well, which is always a plus. However, taking into consideration that this course focuses on teaching you the basic theory/expressions used in GOP, I have to say I'm a bit surprised that I've never in my life heard about the term "x-aways" (care to explain, please? =P). I also think a short part about orbdrag and premovement could've fit in nicely in the course.

I have a few questions to ask as well (as always), so here I go: I realize that this course is heavily based around the theoretical aspect of the GOP minigame, but is this strictly a "watch and learn course" or does the student actually have to show his/her teacher that they're able to use all the theory in a practical way during the lecture? For example, in section 2 (the puzzle part), does the student have to play a "live" game without knowing where the spawns will be before they're set up by teacher, or are the orbs/player coordinates handed out beforehand so that the student has a chance to prepare himself/herself through the use of notations/angle maps? Also, will most of the future puzzles take place in the small altars, or will the mind, water and earth altars be used as well? Oh, and one final question: Approximately how long does/did it take to finish the course?

Anyways, congratulations on graduating, Aimee, well done! However, I have to admit that I would have been surprised if you hadn't passed this course easily (judging from what I've seen and heard about your GOP skills)! =]

Off-topic: The preview function stopped working for me after the new editing program was added. After I click the preview button it freezes my text box and keeps me from editing my post any further. It's probably just my phone that can't handle it the new program though, and I'll just use notepad instead.

Edit: Dismiss what I said earlier, I can use the old editing/preview system when I only load half of the page data.
Back to top Go down
http://satwcomic.com

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Sign me up!
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Lightgrace has graduated from the GOP Literacy Course, 30/06/2012!

Lightgrace's Graduation Puzzle:
Gopper at (0,-2), A(-6,-3), B(-6,3) and C(-3,6). Gopper arrives at (0,-2), after moving, in the same tick the puzzle starts.

Lightgrace's Solution:
2e(1) + 0(1) + C[2n](3) + A(3) + B(3) = 11 ticks.

Grats and cakes!
Back to top Go down
tancerzdrb

RuneScape name(s) : Marton136

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:02 pm

I would like to follow this course>What I have to do?
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: tancerzdrb   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm

tancerzdrb wrote:
I would like to follow this course>What I have to do?

I'll contact you in game so we can talk while we move orbs, but I can't yet, as I don't have sufficient time or internet. I'll be home on Wednesday to try and explain some things about GOP, unless some other teacher wishes to show you first. =)

In the meantime, you can read some of what's already written about Gop Literacy. The main point of this course is to learn Notation in GOP, but to learn this, you also need to learn Tick-counting and about prototicks..

I've never seen anyone learning to count ticks and notation as one of the first things in GOP, but I think it will be very useful for learning fast! I hope I and other kind people have time and maintain inspiration to answer all you may want to learn from us. Goodluck, tancerzdrb!

Edit: Also, would anyone care to tell him about the hidden and popular GOP FC now? I can't say. I can introduce you, however, to other fc's such as Chat of Gop (public fc and advertises in w61), F2P Gop (also a public fc and advertises in w61), and cc's such as Death Erebus (most of its members are goppers, but it's not a 'GOP CC'), Gop Academy, Heart of GOP and Heroes Inicio.
Back to top Go down
tancerzdrb

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 7:39 pm

But my name in gop is Marton136 we were taking on youtube
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm

tancerzdrb wrote:
But my name in gop is Marton136 we were taking on youtube

I know! I was late in replying to the last message you sent me, but you found out where to sign up in the end. Good.
Back to top Go down
tancerzdrb

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Ok imma waiting still.Can we set an apointment or something like that in game??
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:33 pm

Lovlye, we got to meet and have our first session together. =P

We went though:
- Basic timing, but you already knew most of this.
- About ticks and how it takes 1 tick to walk 1 tile, 1 tick to run two tiles, an orb walks.
- Furthermore about prototicks. They halt you for one tick before you can move an orb, if you stop moving in the tick you click that orb, and that if you click the orb and then move before reaching it, you will move it immediately (no prototick): premovement. They halt you if you click an orb right after tapping another, and if you're premoved for one tick after tapping an orb before you move the other orb.
- Altar symmetry: orbs west of you are taken with one set of angles and orbs east of you taken with another set of angles.
- WESN theory: When orbs must choose to go either one or the other direction, such as it has to when repelled unto a corner, it will always prioritise to go West before East, South or North, and East before South or North, et.c.

I suppose we should go through some practical examples of counting ticks next time. How many ticks do sequences of moves take, and how many ticks before it is scored.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gop School Course: GOP Literacy   Gop School Course: GOP Literacy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gop School Course: GOP Literacy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gop Academy :: Education and frontiers :: Gop School :: Courses-
Jump to: