Gop Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is currently inactive, and the goppers who still gop mostly hang out on Discord. Some of them, at least!

Home  Angle map !  GOP emulator !  GOP Hiscores Sheet  Latest images  Search  Register  Log in  Tournament of Tea  YT GOP school  TeaTea  

Ctrl-run

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gop Academy

Gop Academy

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:21 pm

This is a technique that require overhaul of your playing style if you aren't already proficient in using it, so best learn it early!

Ctrl-running is when you hold the Control key down while having run mode set to off. You can do this with the little finger on the Control key next to the Arrow keys. This way, when clicking somewhere, you run to that spot even with Run mode off. If you want to walk somewhere, simply release the hold of your little finger and click.

The features of this versus normal running and walking is that you can switch faster in between the two, and when the hold of an orb drags your character, you'll be walking even with the Ctrl key down.

Sometimes, though, you need to have Run mode on whilst being dragged by an orb. An example of this is taking an orb [-7,1] (third pillar behind west on north side) when starting from position [2,0] (Centre East). You run two tiles South, click the orb and put Run mode on, and hold it until it is scored. You'll get dragged two tiles to the west while holding it. That is, 2s(1)+A[2w](5) = 6 ticks.

Walking in an orbdrag is very often beneficial, and has to be done on many occasions. An example would be when Orb A at [-1,-9] and gopper at [2,0] : 1n(1)+A[1s](7) = 8 ticks.

As mentioned in the lecture about prototicks, it is easier to bypass prototicks with premovement when using Ctrl-run in certain situation. A coin example would be when Orb A at [6,-3] and gopper at [2,0]. With Ctrl-run, release the hold on the Ctrl key and click the orb. This way, you are dislocated to one tile north, and you tap Orb A immediately, like this: 1n(1)+A(1) = 2 ticks. Whilst with Run mode on, you'd have to click to the tile north of Centre East before clicking Orb A, as there is no time for switching run off and on. This would lead to spending a prototick on Orb A before manipulating it, like so: 1n(1)+A(2) = 3 ticks.
Back to top Go down
https://gopacademy.forumotion.com
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

RuneScape name(s) : Icy001

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:31 pm

You're forgetting about prototicks... >.< It takes 2 ticks to walk manually to a position 1 square from you or run to a position 2 squares from you. Also, the first example should say [1,-7] not [-1,-7], and it takes 7 ticks to score it if you run manually to [-2,2]. However, there's a peculiar effect on the air altar only, where you can just click that orb and you'll be dragged south instead of north. That will take 6 ticks since you're not running manually.

For the second example, it's 8 ticks. 2 to walk 1 north, and 6 to score. There's no way to avoid walking manually one north.
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

RuneScape name(s) : Timome, Isamond, Vinterhymn, Anand Wa Neo,

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:07 pm

icy001 wrote:
You're forgetting about prototicks... >.< It takes 2 ticks to walk manually to a position 1 square from you or run to a position 2 squares from you. Also, the first example should say [1,-7] not [-1,-7], and it takes 7 ticks to score it if you run manually to [-2,2]. However, there's a peculiar effect on the air altar only, where you can just click that orb and you'll be dragged south instead of north. That will take 6 ticks since you're not running manually.

For the second example, it's 8 ticks. 2 to walk 1 north, and 6 to score. There's no way to avoid walking manually one north.

I think you have your coordinates messed up. I's x-coordinate before y-coordinate, like [e,n]. Everyone knows that!

It should be [-7,1], though, sorry about that, and it should be 8 ticks total for the second example, sorry. >_>

If you click the [-7,1] orb from Centre East [2,0], you get dragged north. The great phenomena is when you click orb [-8,1] from there, and I haven't the faintest clue of why you get dragged south for that orb. 0o

The way I nota prototicks is an extra tick in the hold of the orb you manipulate before the prototick, not in the movement of the character. This way, there is 1 tick per tile for walking. Should it be changed to something like 2s(1)+p(1)+A[2w](4)=6 ticks, you think? Where the "p(1)" denotes the prototick. Should Notation also be changed to include idle moves like when you OAO 1st pillar from west, to "A(1)+0(1)+A(1)"? The "0(1)" could be used to denote both prototicks and idling. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thymonico
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:28 am

Oh yes, right. 5 is pillar #1, 6 is pillar #2, 7 is pillar #3, 8 is pillar #4, and 9 is pillar #5. Note to self: remember that.
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

RuneScape name(s) : Timome, Isamond, Vinterhymn, Anand Wa Neo,

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Oh, I forgot to clear this into "Outdated gopology", because Ctrl-run is inferior to actionbar running now... :P
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thymonico
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Actionbar is hard :( I always press q when I mean r and r when I mean q and orbs don't go where I expect!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ctrl-run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ctrl-run   Ctrl-run I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ctrl-run
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gop Academy :: Education and frontiers :: Gop School :: Text and Video Lectures-
Jump to: