Gop Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is currently inactive, and the goppers who still gop mostly hang out on Discord. Some of them, at least!

Home  Angle map !  GOP emulator !  GOP Hiscores Sheet  Latest images  Search  Register  Log in  Tournament of Tea  YT GOP school  TeaTea  

9:8 mystery

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

RuneScape name(s) : Icy001

9:8 mystery Empty
PostSubject: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:56 pm

The following image shows yellow squares where a player can reach from south on any altar.

9:8 mystery 34remvl

Look at the top-left corner, where there are holes at 9:8 and 10:9, respectively. You probably know about these, but I (as well as you probably) have no idea how Jagex could program their "reachability" algorithm to have these holes o.O. Any ideas?

(You can also find similar holes in the southwest corner.)

These holes seem to be compensated by "extra" reachable squares which are diagonal from the holes. However, that is completely illogical. What sort of reasonable mathematical algorithm could do this?
Back to top Go down
San

San

RuneScape name(s) : San

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 11:16 pm

This is something that has puzzled me consistently for as long as I can remember. I think I came up with a theory for it... I'm not sure if I put it in document form. I'll have a check tomorrow, when I'm less tired.
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

RuneScape name(s) : Timome, Isamond, Vinterhymn, Anand Wa Neo,

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 12:09 pm

No idea!

The holes become bigger when you're next to the pillar:
9:8 mystery A0-4-1

Those are "compensated" with awkward reach on the other side of the 1:1 diagonal as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thymonico
San

San

RuneScape name(s) : San

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 4:31 pm

alright! after trawling my computer I am pleased to report that I found sod all. That's disappointing. Looks like this puzzle has continued to elude me.

Nonetheless! I'll have a look into it tomorrow since I have a few (more pressing) matters to contend with at the moment.

I've got a few thoughts - though they are pretty much obvious - that are consistent at least with Timo's diagram.

gaps occur at n:m where 1 < n/m < 2
compensated squares mirror perfect diagonal
consistent with mirror principle
test against bend theory

Back to top Go down
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 am

Eureka! After much work during 6 overs over 2 days, I have come up with a complete theory of GOP angles!

This will take me a while to write and revise, so expect a lot of edits. Check here often!
Back to top Go down
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 2:55 am

Back to top Go down
Aimee
Gop Literacy
Aimee

RuneScape name(s) : Love Affair

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 10:53 am

Wonderful Icy, this explains a lot to me! Really happy with this!

One thing:
Icy001 wrote:
Note that the starting and ending points of the line with respect to the starting square is dependent on the slope of the line. This is the crucial discovery that I made and immediately explains the 8:9 mystery. For those who don't know what the 8:9 mystery is, place the player at (0, -2) and an orb at (8, -7). Notice that, contrary to common logic, the orb turns out to not be reachable. The line of sight shows why.

(8, -7) is perfectly reachable from (0, -2). I think you intended to place the orb at (-8, 7), which is not reachable from center South.

Back to top Go down
Aimee
Gop Literacy
Aimee

RuneScape name(s) : Love Affair

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Also, the lower rocks on earth altar should somehow be taken into account. They behave more like the little pillars around the altar; orbs cannot go trough it, but you can attract orbs over it. The sheet is now inaccurate for the earth altar, because according to the line of sight, some angles are not possible, due to the fact that the lower rocks are viewed as barriers, although those angles are possible to perform.

Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Also, is it possible add a click (or right-click) area over some tiles to draw a menu down that contains the option of normal selecting and redirection to a page containing videos of angles about that spawnpoint?
Back to top Go down
icy001
Gop Literacy
icy001

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Okay Aimee, I have fixed both of your issues, and also added many new capabilities.
Back to top Go down
Zelda

Zelda

RuneScape name(s) : Meh

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 am

Wow, this angle map is really impressive, Icy!
It must have taken you ages to make it, and I have no idea how you managed to crack the theory of GOP angles in the first place (once again, impressive).

I tested the first version on Saturday, and it was working great and all, however, after you added all the new features to it yesterday it became GODLIKE. I have to admit that I love the detailed altar maps above everything else though, the work you've done with the mapping is superb!

Anyways, I'm sure this angle map will serve as an amazing knowledge base to everyone who loves GOP, and there's no doubt that it will be used frequently by many dedicated GOPers (they better find it, haha)!

Thanks for making this, Icy!

PS: I would also like to thank Timo for his earlier submissions to the altar mapping project, although I think Icy's maps will more than suffice from now on. The spawn locations might be useful though.

PPS: Hi.
Back to top Go down
http://satwcomic.com
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Zelda wrote:

Thanks! But... They're completely obsolete by now. X) It's like I invented the wheel and he makes a spacecraft. All credit due where it should be, thanks! =P

The spawn maps, though, should be integrated with a button to Icy's map, hm?

P.P.S.: Hei
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9:8 mystery   9:8 mystery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9:8 mystery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gop Academy :: Education and frontiers :: Gopology-
Jump to: