Gop Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is currently inactive, and the goppers who still gop mostly hang out on Discord. Some of them, at least!

Home  Angle map !  GOP emulator !  GOP Hiscores Sheet  Latest images  Search  Register  Log in  Tournament of Tea  YT GOP school  TeaTea  

The GOP Community Hiscores

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

RuneScape name(s) : Timome, Isamond, Vinterhymn, Anand Wa Neo,

The GOP Community Hiscores Empty
PostSubject: The GOP Community Hiscores   The GOP Community Hiscores I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 6:18 am

The relevant threads are on RS Official Forums here:
"The GOP Community Hiscores": http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=ld5gPCFzFsw/forums.ws?48,49,787,65040285
"The Rating System for GOP HS": http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c=G3J83Z7MntA/forums.ws?75,76,17,65040281
But all the information in these threads is given again, in here.
The project on the Google Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlIbdZwXaAHNdEtPTkUtbDgtSlhBaVFURkc1Z1QyRVE&hl=no#gid=61

GOP is short for Great Orb Project, the most wonderful minigame alive.

Since there are no Jagexian hiscores for GOP, I thought it would be a nice idea to organise one ourselves, arranged and sustained by the community. This thread is such an attempt, for all those who wish to participate, and I stress, wish to, as participating is mandatory voluntary.

This thread will contain the Hiscores with ratings and names of each player participating, sorted from highest rating and down. It will also contain the games that have been played, that are used to make up the ratings of each player.

The rating system is explained in detail (with maths) and discussed in this thread: The Rating System for GOP HS. It is explained in short here. Go to the other thread to discuss the rating system (criticism very welcome !), and keep this thread about the hiscores and entries of rated games.

Though this is a good way to keep GOP Hiscores, I wait in hope for Jagex to make the rating system official, and have it on their hiscores, as suggested on the posts at the start of page 4 on: Great Orb Project Suggestions.

Important features of this rating system:
+ Each player's rating starts at rating 1000, and changes according to performance.
+ For a game to be rated, all players in that game must give their consent. Normal games are not rated.
+ The rating of a player will indicate how good they are compared to everyone else in the rating system.
+ A player cannot take advantage of this system by only playing inferior opponents: The probability of gaining X rating by playing someone with vastly higher rating is equal to that probability when playing someone with vastly lower rating.
+ It will take some time for this system to be accurate, as, when starting off, almost everyone is either underrated or overrated.

To participate, you need to play a rated competitive round (1vs1, 2vs2, et.c., but of equal number teammates and opponents), where all participants have expressed clear consent to that this round is a rated game before the round starts. Then, you need to submit the entry to the hiscores:

How to submit an entry
1. Simply post the results of your rounds here, or have someone else post for you, or let me know in some other way. The result of a round will be a value from 0 to 6 (from 6 altars), where you get 1 point for a won altar, 0.5 for a tied altar, and 0 for loss.
2. You must also name all the players participating in the round and say what team they were on.
3. It would be nice if you also said how many orbs were scored on each altar, but you don't have to.

Rules
1. All participants of a rated round must clearly agree, before the round starts, that the game is rated.
2. It is not required for participants to have read the relevant forum threads, but it is required that they know the following before starting a rated game: The results of the game will be used to arrange a public GOP hiscores on RS Official Forums, in which their name will be displayed, and they have to try their best in the round.
3. All participants in a rated round must try their best. Giving away rating points is not allowed. This would make the rating system inaccurate, and would spoil the fun for other folks.
4. No false entry may be included into the ratings of the Community GOP Hiscores.
5. You must have fun while playing a rated round.

Entry template:

Last edited by Timo on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thymonico
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: The GOP Community Hiscores   The GOP Community Hiscores I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 am

The system for rating that I suggest is one that will try to reflect actual skill in GOP the most accurately. It is very similar the rating system used in chess and other competitive games, called the Elo rating system.

I have attempted to launch this project two times before (in 2011 and 2012), with minor success, because of the lack of rated games being played and few folks taking part in the project. I want to launch it again, with improvements on the system, and I hope folks will help. Criticism will help this project a lot, and is therefore very welcome ! : )

This is my best suggestion for how the hiscores may most accurately reflect the actual skill of the player in GOP. I tried adapting the Elo rating system, from how it's used in chess, to apply to GOP.

The GOP-Elo Rating System Explained
All players will start with a rating of 1000. It will go up or down depending on the score of the game and the difference in the ratings between the green and yellow team (sum of ratings if it is a 2vs2 or higher).

If you are 500 rating points above your opponent, you are expected to win 5 out of 6 altars. This works with 1vs1, 2vs2, and higher. The expected number of altars you will win (E1) against your opponent, when your rating is R1, and the opponent's rating is R2, is given by the following formula:

- - E1 = 6/(1+5^((R2-R1)/500))

If you look at this formula, you can see that if the difference in rating is 0, the expected value is 3, half of the altars, and if you are 313 ratingpoints higher than your opponent, you're expected to win 4.4 out of the 6 altars in a round.

E1 + E2 (the expected value of the opponent) will always equal 6.

The new rating for a player (R'1), after they have played a rated round, is given by:

- - R'1 = R1 + K(S-E1)

Where R1 is the old rating, S is the actual score (0 to 6), and K is the K-value.

The K-value is the maximum possible rating adjustment for each altar, so the maximum rating adjustment for a round is 6*K. This is an integer to decide the sensitivity of the rating system. It is needed for balance. If it's too high, the ratings will be too dependent on the most recent game, if it's too low, the ratings will take too long to approximate a true value. I have arbitrarily set it to 17 for now. That means that if you win one more altar than expected in that round, you will gain 17 rating points.

Put together:
The formula:

- - R'1 = R1 + K(S-6/(1+5^((R2-R1)/500)))
Back to top Go down
Timo
Gop Literacy
Timo

PostSubject: Re: The GOP Community Hiscores   The GOP Community Hiscores I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Should I add the 239 rated games that were played back in the first half of 2012 into this hiscores? I could just add the results of those games into this system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GOP Community Hiscores   The GOP Community Hiscores I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1